Please note, new blog at http://www.acheron.org/darryl/

A new browser called Flock

I just came across this new browser called Flock. It is open source software that is built upon the Mozilla code-base -- not as an extension, but as a stand alone product. It looks pretty cool, and they have changed a lot. The browser is currently in developer preview only (but everyone can still download it).

Their main point of difference is the "community integration" they have built in.

Stars & Favourites

You can star your favourite sites using the Star button, and even share them with others using a del.icio.us account. They have changed bookmarks into Favourites, and added more functionality such as collections. You can also tag them using keywords.

Feeds

Flock has all of the Firefox feed options, but also allows you to aggregate different feeds together based on your favourites (you can create "collections" of favourites as well, e.g. News) and view them within the browser.

Blogging

Flock has built-in blogging features, and integrates with many of the top blog providers such as WordPress, Movable Type, Typepad and Blogger. In fact, I've written this post from within Flock. Flock also allows you to "Blog This", so you can highlight passages whilst viewing web pages and blog about it straight away. This is nothing new, but it's nice that it is integrated.

They have also built "The Shelf". This feature is essentially a scrapbook that you can drag all sorts of web content into, so you can blog about it later.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/26/2006 08:51:00 pm  

yes, i've been using it for about a month now - and I love it! I run mac at home and windows at work, and with flock i can easily share my bookmarks between my computers and publish them on my blog. it's great :)



By Blogger Darryl Lyons, at 1/26/2006 08:58:00 pm  

Actually, that's a good point. I might be able to get around WebSense at work with it! :)



By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/01/2006 05:42:00 pm  

Oh so you have it? I heard it's great. I plan to have one for myself too. It will be very helpful of my future plans.



By Blogger Unknown, at 6/24/2010 01:50:00 pm  

You would become acclaimed in your acquisition just because of accustomed the best superior lv bags
with you; these cheap louis vuitton bags
are accepting added popularity. Wherever you would go, these lv bag
would be taken as a attribute of chic and elegance.



By Blogger David Ross, at 11/08/2011 01:46:00 am  

That's very good post..keep it up..
Silagra



By Blogger Jessica B Johnson, at 1/20/2012 05:49:00 pm  

It is great news, i was unaware about this new browser. Before three weeks i read about facebook's new browser that they are introducing it in market. I think now the new competition field is browsers.

web design services



By Blogger Unknown, at 2/12/2016 06:28:00 pm  

Wow! Simply spectacular! Thank you a lot for the information discussed! I understand you have placed a lot of effort right into this and I intended to inform you exactly how grateful I am! There need to be a lot more blogs such as this on the web! I will absolutely bookmark as well as subscribe to your exceptional internet site! Hope you produced much more amazing stuff in the near future and I will come back and also review it! SEO Expert in Pakistan



» Post a Comment