Please note, new blog at http://www.acheron.org/darryl/

Science fiction or science fact?

Lately I've been seeing quite a few articles about advances in science that have frankly left me amazed. It seems as though whatever we can conceive of, people will eventually find a way to make reality. The US has been researching beam weapons for the last 20 years, and it seems they are on the verge of creating weaponry, according to MSNBC. Also in research, although theoretical, are hyperspace engines.
The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.
Could something happen in my lifetime?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/15/2006 01:02:00 am  

I hope you live long..



By Blogger Jim Collins, at 1/15/2006 04:25:00 am  

I've always found the idea that we're trapped here like rats to be appalling, so the idea that we've figured a way out makes sense. Espically since there is ample evidence that other civilizations ahve some means of interstellar propulsion.



By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/15/2006 05:49:00 am  

"there is ample evidence that other civilizations ahve some means of interstellar propulsion"

What?!



By Blogger Darryl Lyons, at 1/15/2006 08:38:00 am  

Anon: so do I!

Jim: Well, it depends on whether or not you believe that aliens have visited earth. The jury is still out for me to a degree, and its not like I've seen one with my own eyes ;)



By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/16/2006 09:02:00 am  

Check out Brian Greene's Elegant Universe.



By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/16/2006 07:33:00 pm  

I second Michael White's recommendation.

I've read The Elegant Universe and am now reading The Fabric Of The Cosmos (also by Brian Green)

Both great books!



By Blogger Darryl Lyons, at 1/16/2006 08:17:00 pm  

Thanks. I've requested it from my local library.



» Post a Comment