Please note, new blog at http://www.acheron.org/darryl/

My workplace blocks informative blogs!

Is it just me, or is more and more content being published on blogs these days? Especially cutting edge stuff, new discoveries and problems people are experiencing... What gets my goat is that my workplace blocks pretty much all web traffic, and I continually get "Web site blocked" messages when I am trying to actually do my job. Do other people experience this? Surely, a lot of big companies in America would block all "Message Boards and Clubs" Web sites within their network? Do you think it acceptable? Can it continue? I know why they do it, but sometimes it just makes it harder to find information about problems I am experiencing.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/04/2005 05:31:00 am  

Yes. This is a problem which we come across repeatedly. I understand why IT departments block most users, but we as developers are not most users.

May I suggest Coral. To use it simply add .nyud.net:8090 to the end of your domain. They keep cached versions of websites, so you will not likely be getting the latest blog aggregator update, but its a start.

example: http://weblogs.macromedia.com.nyud.net:8090/mxna/



By Blogger Darryl Lyons, at 5/04/2005 06:33:00 pm  

Tried it at work, and it didn't work ;)



By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/17/2005 10:16:00 am  

If they're blocking certain websites, they definently don't have an any-any rule on the firewall (port 8090 will be closed by default).

I would just ask for those urls to be unblocked. It's a legitimate work purpose.

-Dave Ross



» Post a Comment